Novice massage class

A novice swedish massage class.  

In this class we learned about basic massage techniques.  The class had about ten people. We partnered up. There  were two couples already attending the class.  Two students were going to be in the coming cohort so they partnered up.  Two other people partnered with each other as they were sitting next to each other.
That left me and one other person who was across the room. This person probably never had a massage in  her life.  She didn't understand that in a swedish massage one needs to be undressed, and that a large part of the massage is  safely covering the client to make sure they feel secure and relaxed. It was a very interesting experience. She didn't want to undress nor did she want for me to undress. The undressing occured under the sheet which she was to hold up for me.  I think that she has not touched a person before, because she was kind of touching me very oddly.  I can say that this was the worst massage I have ever had in my life.  It is good to have a basis for evaluation of future massages. 



  I have been saying that people have an aversion to human touch. I used to not like touching people or being touched, but I have learned that it is important for good health.


Lessons learned from the class l.
Body mechanics is essential to keeping the therapist safe.
Scoop up the sheet when draping the client.  
A set method  of the massage is important for both the client and the therapist.
Move slower than you think you need. 
I learned a bit about what happens when I am in a massage and probably what they are doing.  I have tried to figure it out as a client but I have never seen it done. I am looking forward to my next professional massage to see if I can figure it out.

Doing massage on something other than a massage table is fine, but just remember the methods of taking care or your body first and taking the time to prepare yourself before working on the client.
I learned that I am not too old to learn something new like being s massage therapist.  
I think I can be a very good therapist.
I want to focus on health through body movement such as found in Thai massage or in yoga.

I am thinking now of going to Bali in July and take a massage course and of course to attend the Bali Lindy Exchange.  It should be an interesting experience to learn massage and yoga in Bali.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cats in Istanbul are the new Sultans.