ocean Island hostel

Breakfast at the ocean Island hostel.  I had my frozen waffles with peanut tahini oatmeal, blueberries, pears, strawberry jam,and two eggs.  Across from me are a young Asian and his slightly older sister.  They are watching the tv that has square pants bob. The TV doesn't have sound but words on the screen.  The children are laughing so they must be following the dialogue.  I think they are Chinese.  Grand ma is facing them and is giving herself a vigorous head rub. St first  I thought she was scratching for lice, but I realized she was systematically rubbing her head.  The couple in the left corner speak French.  The were hugging and kissing in the kitchen a few minutes ago.  They are having a conversation over their breakfast.  The other couple speaks English  but culturely different. He asked the woman if she wanted whitener for her coffee.  She asked what it was.  He said he the didn't know but it makes the coffee white.  They are both having a conversation.  The Chinese family has left and now there are three whit English speakerimg women.  It looks like daughter mother and grandma.  They are playing cribbage. Their facial expressions are very delightful.  They are calculating and moving the pegs on the board. It is a sunny morning and after breakfast they play a game.  That is so nice.  The other woman to the right has been travel planning.  She is looking at restaurants reviews and maps.  Then she started watching some reels on her phone 
  The other couple to back quickly finished their breakfast and left.  I am taking time to finish my breakfast. People are taking their dishes to the kitchen and are washing up.  It is a nice center of activity.  I like hostels exactly for this reason.  People are just being themselves and living life.  I need to check out soon but it was a nice experience.  I say a bit longer and a young man sat at my table.  We immediately started up a conversation.  He was from Germany and living in Copenhagen.  We talked about hiking and travel.  It struck me that he didn't look at his phone once.  The night before in the same hostel I was sitting next to some people in the Lindy Exchange.  The guy constantly looked and interacted with his phone, while I had a nice conversation with Erin.  Granted it there was loud music but I wanted to have a conversation with people.  It was nice that Erin and I talked about dancing and our lives. I observed him on a couple of other occasions where his phone was his constantly in use. He interacted with it as it was his friend.  In this hostel it appears that most people want human contact and conversation. I am glad.