Istanbul Airport and getting there

Istanbul Airport on the European side of Istanbul is a very big airport.  When I arrived at night I used the hotel to arrange a ride. That ride took 40 minutes  and was $65 including tip.  That worked well, because I was tired and didn't know anything about the city.  On leaving I used my Istanbul card to travel  because I had 75 TR lira on it.   This is about  $3 and that was about right for the three segments on the public transport. I took a tram ride, then a bus, and then the metro. The Google times on my phone were not even close to actual times. The interactive  sign at the bus stop was spot in. Notice that the bigger buses in the display are closer.  Just like in real life. It took about an hour and a half to get to the airport.

I transfered at Kacithane.  There are two huge meto Stations and a huge bus terminal. I would hate to have to find a bus there late at night.  It would be better to transfer to the other metro line. Eventually the  airport  line will connect with the other subway station in and underground  station, but that segment is under construction.  
The entrance down to the subway had an interesting art display besides, most people carried luggage we.  You know this is the line to the airport. One thing I noticed in Istanbul  in general is that the amount of walking from the entrances to the actual platforms is longer than oth citie metro lines.
This is a new line, so the trains and stations are new.  They also call this the M1 line.  

If you are arriving the signs and location of transit cards are easy to find.The Turkish word for airport, at least in my word  association, comes from Greek language, and the word train from the  spanish language. I should look it up but I am writing this off line.

From the metro to the terminal is across all the surface traffic down below.
The airport is out in the country side, but there is big new mosque.  The government plans for there to be a new city to built around the airport.
The mosque is has two minurets.  The main worship area uses a lot of colored glass. 

The departures lobby is on the top floor.  There is a security screening getting into the airport.  

Inside th departures you have to find where to check in.  After that is security screening.
Inside the airport is a big screen of international departures.  There are a lot in a three hours period.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cats in Istanbul are the new Sultans.