Seattle United choir friends in chance meeting 44 years later

We were walking along lake Washington and Fumiko wanted to stop for lunch. As we are sitting down I heard my name.  Jorge says that someone is calling you.  I look up and it is Jamie Keys and Laura Davis.  They were having lunch with their spouses and friends.  I was in choir at Seattle University. It was good seeing them.  I remember going to lunch at Jamie's mom's house with Don Wunsch.  Jaime's mother made a very nice lunch which included asparagus.  At the time I didn't like asparagus because of the smell.  My mother always boiled it.  I can smell asparagus in my pee, so I didn't like it much. As we had been driving from California and we were hungry and tired, I could eat anything.  Jaime's mom had grilled the asparagus so it was delicious.  Also the settings for lunch was very nice. I appreciated that time, although I may never have expressed it.  I enjoy asparagus to this day because of that experience.
Laura was in choir. She was an alto with a very nice voice.  I remember her telling me a story about her father asking to take a six month break from their marriage.  It was at a time when gay men could not be free.  In the early 80's people started coming out and expressing themselves. He eventually  wanted to come back, but her mom didn't let him.  He eventually died of AIDS. In our brief conversation she recounted something along the lines as marriage does not support love, love supports marriage.  I said, The longer you are married, the more time you need to spend apart.   We both laughed about our bits of shared wisdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cats in Istanbul are the new Sultans.